Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Using PBWiki

I've been using PBWiki for a while now and find its syntax quite easy to use. That said, it did take me a while to understand how it works when I first began. I think that it was easier for me because I have a knowledge of markup languages and understand the concept of web syntax. However, the average user may not have that kind of prior experience and may therefore find the syntax (even though it's very simple) a bit intimidating. One feature that I wish PBwiki offered is a calendar. I had to create one with HTML for my own wiki and while I understand it, it's very messy for my community members to use. Although there are wiki engines (farms? - I'm still unclear on the difference between the two) that offer this feature, when I first started, I wanted something that was free and had as many of the features that I was looking for as possible. From some research on wikimatrix, I decided that pbwiki was my best option. However, now I'm intrigued with mediawiki since so many seem to be using it. In general, my experience with "wiki"ing has been positive, although I have to say that the only people that use my wiki are those to whom I have personally provided a little info literacy. And even with that, the older generation (over 45) still are too scared to use it. It makes me wonder if people who do not have any personal face-to-face training will be brave enough to explore on their own. Kudos to PBwiki who offers a few screencapture videos of basic tasks using their product!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home