Monday, September 18, 2006

Blogging Ethics & Usability

I enjoyed this week’s readings about some of the issues for consideration when designing a library blog. Many of the authors stressed that blogs in the corporate/library world need to be strategic and well thought out to be seen as credible. Given the fragile state of libraries today (as perceived by the general populace), I believe that issues or credibility are even more important. Libraries cannot afford to gain negative reputations because of a blog that is uncensored, unmediated, uncontrolled. While these blog characteristics can be viewed as the strengths of blogs, Blood clearly emphasizes that “the lack of gatekeepers and the freedom from all consequences may compromise their integrity and thus their value.”

I believe that the credibility of the library and its blog is the most important goal when establishing a library blog. To that end, I will highlight some of the suggestions that were given that I believe to be key to a successful library blog.

With Scout, I believe that the library must be purposeful and strategic about their blog initiative. A blog that is begun without thought to its purpose or design has a strong potential to develop into something that is difficult to use, lacking in credibility and professionalism and missing any real purpose. I agree that the library must decide what sort of content will be found on the blog. It also seems important that the blog be updated regularly and should include links to increase readership. These basic principles in place will ensure that the blog will continue to be a useful tool to the library’s clientele.

Similarly, Nielson’s usability rules will also help to create a blog that is user-friendly for your tech-savvy or not so savvy users. I think that with the easy creation nature of web 2.0 applications, it is easy to let usability issues fly out the window. The Net Rage study strongly supports this notion. Part of the library’s role in the present-day is to lead the way in technology, and therefore, I believe that an explanation of the use and terminology of the software must be clearly explained on the blog. Similarly, the blog should use effectively use the conventions of blogs so that users aren’t easily lost. I myself have been frustrated by some of the case study library blogs that are so similar to the website that I have to think about where I am. One of the first principles of web usabiliity is that the user should not have to think.

Finally, I find many of Blood’s principles for weblog ethics to be “best practice” for library blogs. Anything that can be done to support the credibility of the blog should be done. While some of her suggestions may seem a bit extreme, I think that it is better to err on the side of caution.

1 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Other than wanting to appear tech "savvy", I must admit that I don't really see why corporations would want to have publicly accessible blogs. If they allowed comments, constant moderation would be a drain on staff and time. Perhaps focusing on website design rather than trendiness would be a better use of resources! Or enabling customers to actually speak to a person on the telephone if they had comments or issues. A crazy idea, I know;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home