RSS Case Studies Once More
As mentioned in my last post, I love the idea of getting the lastest search results from previous searches in a database or library OPAC. I think that this is what the Seattle P.L. is aiming for, but I was a bit confused as to how it works. Have they created the feed for Social Skill resources? Is this just an experiemental feed? I searched the catalogue and looked for a way to create a feed, but couldn’t find one. Am I missing something?
Again, I like the way alerting through RSS simplified the research process allowing readers to keep what they want, and get rid of what they don’t need. Ebsco’s service allows a lot of flexibility in that you can get RSS syndication for various things like Images, Saved Searches, Webpages, Journal Alerts etc.
The Engineering Village seems to be very in touch with the information and technology needs of its users. Their method to create an RSS feed from a database search is super-simple and intuitive! I also love their idea to make search content easy to blog about. They’re definitely putting their users’ needs first!
While the first three examples seem to be focusing on using RSS to get the latest results on previous searches (pulling information), Proquest appears to focus on how users can syndicate RSS content onto other websites (pushing information). Their unique sections for librarians, faculty and course syllabus will likely be a handy resource for those new (but brave) users of RSS!


2 Comments:
Hi Shauna-Lee: apologies over the confusion with SPL's feeds, that's probably my fault. To get a feed from their catalogue:
- go to SPL's homepage
- type some keywords in their catalogue search box
- on the results page that follows, you should see an "XML" button at the bottom of the page
- the link behind the XML button is the feed URL that you can subscribe to
So, any search in the catalogue will provide a corresponding feed. The one I chose for the week was just the feed for a search I ran myself.
Hope that helps!
Thanks, Amanda! It's a great feature when you know how to use it! They should probably provide a bit more explanation to their users who are likely less techie than even me!
Post a Comment
<< Home