Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Trying to be Techie...

I found Feed2JS to be quite user-friendly. For the non-technie types like me, it was surprisingly easy to use. My only issue is that once I had created my feed, I didn’t really know what to do with it. I figured out that I just paste it into the template of my blog where I want it to appear. I chose a “CSS style,” but was confused as to whether that was going to style only my RSS feed or the whole blog template. Can anyone let me know? And like the RSS feed, do I just copy and paste the CSS somewhere in the template? Where? Sorry if all of this seems obvious.

One frustration that I had with how my feed appeared is that it puts the name and copyright information of the site where it originates. Is there any way to get rid of this? It’s unsightly!

I couldn’t really figure out how to use RSS2HTML. It was not as user-friendly as Feed2JS. I went through the steps, but it only seemed to provide me with a link. When I pasted that link in my template, it only showed the link rather than the feed content. I surely did something wrong. Any suggestions?

To be honest, I found it hard to come up with ideas of content that I wanted to syndicate onto my site. In a side note, I added a weather bar to my blog, but that was through HTML and not RSS. Will it change everyday? Is it really RSS, and I just don’t know it? I guess I’ll have to wait for a change in the weather to find out.

Finally, I tried creating my own OPML file using the generator. However, it only imported one of my feeds. The others gave me the message that the XML was faulty or that they were getting no reponse to their requests. I don’t really understand what the problem was since I took the feed URLs directly from the sites. Any suggestions?

I feel kind of ill at ease with a lot of this techie stuff…never really knowing if I’m catching on or doing things correctly. It’s at times like this when I wish we had an actual class to go to so that I could watch (and practice) a demonstration. Anyways, just a frustration, but I’ll get over it!

4 Comments:

At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The CSS Style in Feed2JS only applies to the RSS feed and not your whole blog. You stick the CSS bit after the RSS feed bit.

You have to insert this line before the CSS code:

< style type="text/css" media="all">

(note: don't put a space between < and style, I just put that there because it Blogger wouldn't let me publish the comment like that)

and then this line after:

< /style>
(again, no space between < and style)

Hopefully that should work for you.

As for how RSS2HTML works, I am stuck as well. Like you, I went through the steps, got the URL, but then couldn't figure out how to incorporate it into my blog.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Shauna-Lee said...

Thanks so much, Kelly! I'll try that.

 
At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm also stuck with not knowing how to add the RSS feed to my blog.

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how it works with a Blogger account, but Wordpress allows you to add a feed as a Widget. There's no need to use either Feed2Js or RSS2HTML - although they would certainly come in handy in blogs that aren't created through one of these online services.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home