Saturday, December 02, 2006

Four Technologies to an Online Social Library

Wow! I can’t believe that it is the second last week of the term! It seems like just yesterday I was writing my first blog post to introduce myself to the fellow-bloggers of LIS 757. I have learned a LOT this term about social software in general and specifically how it can be used in libraries. As I’ve spent the past week or so synthesizing my thoughts, I’ve come up with the following:

The use of most social software technologies can (arguably) be justified in most library settings. Granted, some of those arguments are weightier than others. Therefore, when making decisions regarding the implementation of social software applications in libraries, I think that library management must primarily consider two main factors: time and cost. Thought must be given to the amount of initial time that will be required to implement the new initiative as well as what the time requirements will be for its maintenance in the future. In the same way, startup costs (in terms of staff, software, equipment) as well as the ongoing costs (staff) of continuing the initiative must be considered. Since it is not logical for a library to adopt each of these technologies at once, it must choose which are the most cost-time-effective considering its user group and their unique needs.

I believe that the four social software technologies that could be implemented in a library with minimal cost/time and maximum benefit to the library are:

Instant Messaging
Wiki
Blogs
Social Bookmarking

Let me briefly explain how, at a bare minimum, I envision the above working for any particular library.

Instant Messaging

Although I was hesitant to accept the benefits of IMing, I have come to see the huge potential that this technology can have for the library. First, I think that IM appeals to a demographic (12-24 yr old) that seems to look unfavourably at the library’s role in the future (Benton Report). If IM will be an effective way to reach this age group, then we should embrace the technology wholeheartedly. Secondly, I think that IM presents an opportunity to maximize a library skill that has proven irreplaceable to superior library services: the reference interview. IM provides an opportunity to conduct a proper reference interview in the electronic environment. If we can convince this generation to utilize the library for reference needs through IM, we are in a good position to take reference services to a new level of technology without compromising traditional methods. As far as the cost/time analysis, the implementation of IM does not need to be highly intensive since free software applications like Meebo can be used. Although the time issue does need to be addressed, the library could certainly start small and increase the service as it gains popularity.

Wiki

I believe that all libraries should start a wiki to manage its internal knowledge. In the field of library and information science and in the electronic age, each employees’ knowledge is key and may be of infinite use to his/her colleagues. A wiki is a great place to gather ideas for information sources (for reference) and programming ideas. If all employees are convinced of its usefulness, parts of their jobs could be simplified, freeing them up for more unique tasks. The cost requirements would be minimal since software such as pbwiki allows anyone to establish a wiki for free. Initial time needed to set up the wiki would be small, and its maintenance would be accomplished by incremental staff contributions. In the end, the use by staff members (by way of contribution and/or consultation) would likely increase productivity since each staff member can harness the expertise of his/her colleagues.

Blogs

For the library just starting to experience with social software, I think that a blog (with an RSS feed) is a great way to establish an online presence and to promote library services and collections to its users. To begin, I would recommend that the library use the blog to post about upcoming library events, programs and collection changes. A blog such as this is not overly time-intensive since these types of changes do not occur daily. Staff time requirements do not need to be overwhelming; specific staff members could be responsible for posts relating to their own responsibilities. At the beginning of each week, the library staff could have a quick meeting to quickly discuss who and what will be posted for that week. Since software like Blogger or Wordpress is available, the cost for this time of project would be minimal as well.

Social Bookmarking

It is impossible for a library to properly catalogue all of the websites that are of particular interest to its user group. First, the library cannot possibly have time to catalogue all of these sites, but secondly, this list of sites would continue to grow and change daily. The use of social bookmarking would allow libraries to attempt to meet the needs of its patrons with regards to classifying and “gathering” websites for its electronic collection. Once again, the initiative would incur little cost since social bookmarking sites such as del.icio.us are free to use. Secondly, the library could decrease the stress on staff by enlisting its user group to help out in the process. In order to work effectively, this would certainly take some co-ordination, but it would be an exciting project!

It is evident there are many more library applications of each of the social software technologies mentioned here. However, for the library first starting out, these would be my recommendations. I would love to see what’s being covered and recommended in the course “Five Weeks to a Social Library.” Whatever the social software chosen, whatever the intensity of its implementation, the library must make purposeful steps to market its new social software projects and to provide information literacy on their use. Finally, libraries would be well-advised to carefully follow the best practices for implementing each of the technologies that are given in the social software literature, in the Library Success Wiki and now on our sosowa wiki!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home